Countries and Regions of Europe
Countries and Regions of Europe
Officially, there are 44 United Nations recognized European countries. But according to the United Nations geoscheme for Europe, there are 51 countries. Also, there are some territories governed by countries like the United Kingdom and Denmark.
Countries and Regions of Europe
European Countries and their Capitals
Countries and regions of Europe recognized by the United Nations are listed below.
Capital of European Countries
Size of European Countries
Population of European Countries (2020)
Bosnia and Herzegovina
3,972,400 sq. Km
603,628 sq. Km
551,695 sq. Km
498,511 sq. Km
450,295 sq. Km
385,178 sq. Km
357,386 sq. Km
338,145 sq. Km
312,685 sq. Km
301,338 sq. Km
242,495 sq. Km
238,397 sq. Km
207,600 sq. Km
148,000 sq. Km
131,940 sq. Km
110,994 sq. Km
102,775 sq. Km
93,030 sq. Km
91,568 sq. Km
83,858 sq. Km
78,866 sq. Km
77,453 sq. Km
70,273 sq. Km
65,300 sq. Km
64,589 sq. Km
56,594 sq. Km
51,129 sq. Km
Andorra la Vella
49,036 sq. Km
45,339 sq. Km
44,493 sq. Km
41,290 sq. Km
41,198 sq. Km
33,846 sq. Km
30,510 sq. Km
29,843 sq. Km
28,748 sq. Km
25,713 sq. Km
23,764 sq. Km
20,273 sq. Km
13,812 sq. Km
10,887 sq. Km
9,251 sq. Km
6,960 sq. Km
2,586 sq. Km
2,428 sq. Km
468 sq. Km
316 sq. Km
160 sq. Km
61 sq. Km
2.02 sq. Km
0.44 sq. Km
Dependent Territories In Countries and Regions of Europe
Faeroe Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Gibraltar are the territories in the European Continent. Country Denmark rules Faeroe Islands. The Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Gibraltar are the territories ruled by the United Kingdom.
The Faeroe Islands or the Faroe Islands is an autonomous territory of the Kingdom of Denmark. The Faeroe Islands is a self-governing region of Denmark since 1948, as it controls all the areas except currency, justice, military defense, and foreign affairs.
The Faeroe Islands has a population of 51,628 as of May 2020 and has a total area of about 1400 sq. Km. Dominantly used language in this region is Faroese. About 93.8% of the people in this region speak Faroese.
The Channel Islands are a chain of islands near the French coast of Normandy. The Bailiwick of Jersey and the Bailiwick of Guernsey are the two Crown dependencies. Officially, Channel Islands are not a part of the United Kingdom, but the United Kingdom is responsible for its defense and International relations. The total Population of Channel Island is 173,863 as of May 2020.
Isle of Man
The Isle of Man, also known by the name Mann, is situated between Ireland and Great Britain in the Irish Sea. Officially, Isle of Man is a Crown dependency, but the United Kingdom is responsible for its defense. The total Population of Channel Island is 91,556 as of 2020.
Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory located in the Iberian Peninsula. Gibraltar has a population of 33,693 as of May 2020 and has a surface area of 6.7 sq. Km.
Regions of Europe
European Region has multiple divisions based on politics, geography, and culture. But, according to the UN geo-scheme for Europe, there are four geographical regions or sub regions in the European continent.
- Northern Europe
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Southern Europe
Four Regions of Europe
Northern Region of Europe
North Europe or Northern Europe is a sub-division of the European Continent, which includes seventeen states, according to the UN geo-scheme for Europe. Northern European countries have a wide variety of vegetation, relief, and climate.
Northern European countries have a highly developed economy with the best living standards in the world. The population of the north European region is 106,261,249 as of 2020.
Northern European countries are
- Aland Islands
- Faroe Islands
- Isle of Man
- Svalbard and Jan Mayen
- United Kingdom
Western Region of Europe
West Europe or Western Europe is a sub-division of the European Continent, which includes Nine Countries, according to the UN geo-scheme for Europe. Western European countries are surrounded by the English Channel & the North Sea in the North, the Alps in the south, and the Atlantic Ocean in the west.
Western European countries have a wide variety of vegetation as the region has a subtropical and polar climate. Dominantly spoken language in this region is German and Romance.
Western European countries have a highly developed economy with the most prosperous regions in the world. Luxembourg and Germany have the highest GDP per capita in the world. The population of the Western European region is 196,146,316 as of 2020.
Western European countries are
Eastern Region of Europe
East Europe or Eastern Europe is a sub-division of the European Continent, which includes ten Countries, according to the UN geo-scheme for Europe. The eastern European region has unique natural borders such as Ural River, Ural Mountains, the Caspian Sea, and the Caucasus Ranges, which divides this region from Asian Countries. Eastern and Western Regions of Europe have no specific borders. They are divided on a religious, cultural, and historical basis.
The population of Eastern European countries is 293,013,231 as of 2020.
Eastern European countries are
- Czech Republic
Southern Region of Europe
Southern Europe or Mediterranean Europe is a sub-division of the European Continent, which includes 13 Countries, according to the UN geo-scheme for Europe. The Mediterranean Sea divides southern European Countries from African Countries and experiences a Mediterranean climate. The unique geography, climate, and flora make southern Europe different from another region of Europe.
Dominantly used language in this southern European country is Romance, but words like Italian, Spanish, and Greek are also famous.
The population of south European countries is 152,215,230 as of 2020.
Southern European countries are
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Republic of Macedonia
- San Marino
- Vatican City
Economic and Political Groups of Countries and Regions of Europe
A political and economic union of countries part of the European Continent is known as the European Union. There are 27 Members of the European Union. Countries like Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden are part of the European Union.
European countries that use the Euro as their currency are known as Eurozone Countries. Countries part of Eurozone are Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain.
EFTA stands for the European Free Trade Association is a European free trade organization that includes countries like Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.
CFTA stands for the Central European Free Trade Agreement is a trade agreement between countries that are not a part of the European Union. Countries part of the CFTA are Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, and Kosovo (represented by the UNMIK).
European Economic Area
European Economic Area also is known as the Schengen Area. It includes countries like Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland.
European Union Customs Union
A Customs Union is a union of countries like Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, and the UK.
EAEU stands for the Eurasian Economic Union, which is an economic union of countries located in northern Asia, central Asia, and eastern Europe. Asian and European Countries like Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia are a part of this union with Moldova as an observer member.
CISFTA stands for Commonwealth of the Independent States, which is a free trade agreement between Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, and Ukraine.
BSEC stands for Organization of the Black Sea Economic Co-operation which includes countries like Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Georgia, Greece, Moldova, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
Facts - Regions of Europe
- Europe is the second-smallest continent with a surface area of about 10,180,000 sq. Km, which contains 51 countries and a population of 747,540,295, which is equivalent to 9.78% of the total world population. Out of which 7.28% population lives in the Urban region
- Out of 747,540,295 people living in European countries, around 74.5 % of the population lives in urban areas.
- Vatican City is the world’s smallest country within the city of Rome.
- Wolf, Bear, and Lynx are rare animals found in the European continent. Also, there are more than 800 types of bird species found in Europe, which in the winter season, migrate to a different part of the world.
- Trans-Siberian Rail Route, located in Europe, is the longest rail route in the world, which connects Vladivostok in the east and St Petersburg in the west.
- Moscow connects to five seas through its rivers and canals known by the name ‘Port of Five Seas.’
- The European continent is surrounded by water on three sides, the Mediterranean and the Black Sea (southern part), the Arctic Ocean (northern part), and the Atlantic Ocean (western part).
- Asia and Europe are a large piece of land that is separated by the Caspian Sea and the Ural mountain ranges.
- The Mediterranean Sea and the Strait of Gibraltar separate the African continent from the European Continent.
- Hum, a town in Croatia, is the smallest town in the world and has only 21 inhabitants.
- The Roman Colosseum of Rome is one of the new seven wonders of the world.
- Europe is surrounded by the Arctic Ocean in the north, the Atlantic Ocean in the east, the Mediterranean Sea in the south, the Black Sea in the southeast, and Asian Countries on its Northwest.
- The climate in the European Countries is affected mainly by the warm currents of the Atlantic Ocean.
- The Most famous tourist destination in the European countries is France, followed by Spain, Italy, the United Kingdom, and Germany.
- Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome are known as the birthplace of western civilization.
- Languages primarily used in the European countries are English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Nordic Languages, and East European languages.
- The Pyrenees, the Alps, the Carpathians, the Balkans, and the Caucasus are part of the Alpine Mountains chain, which start from the west and ends in the east.
- Mt. Elbrus (18,481 feet above sea level) in the Caucasus is the highest point on the European continent, followed by the Mount Blanc (15,771 feet above sea level) in the Alps.
- The Volga is the longest river in the European continent, which flows for 3,530 km, followed by the Danube, which is 2,850 km in length and flows through ten countries.
- The Caspian Sea is the lowest point on the European Continents with a depth of 92 feet below sea level.
- Lake Lagoda is the largest lake in the European continents with a surface area of 17,700 sq. Km.