Asia The Largest Continent
Asia The Largest Continent
Officially, there are 48 United Nations recognized countries in Asia the largest continent of the world. But some countries believe there are 50 Asian countries and two self-governing regions. Some of these Asian countries are transcontinental, which means they share a part of their country with other continents as well
ASIA THE LARGEST CONTINENT
Asian Countries and Their Capitals
Below is a list of United Nation recognized countries in Asia the largest continent of the world.
Capital of Asian Countries
Size of Asian Countries
Population of Asian Countries (2020)
United Arab Emirates
Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
Bandar Seri Begawan
13,100,000 sq. Km
9,596,961 sq. Km
3,287,263 sq. Km
2,544,900 sq. Km
2,149,690 sq. Km
1,904,569 sq. Km
1,648,195 sq. Km
1,564,110 sq. Km
881,913 sq. Km
759,592 sq. Km
676,578 sq. Km
652,230 sq. Km
527,968 sq. Km
513,120 sq. Km
488,100 sq. Km
447,400 sq. Km
438,317 sq. Km
377,930 sq. Km
331,212 sq. Km
330,803 sq. Km
309,500 sq. Km
300,000 sq. Km
236,800 sq. Km
199,951 sq. Km
185,180 sq. Km
181,035 sq. Km
147,570 sq. Km
147,181 sq. Km
143,100 sq. Km
120,538 sq. Km
100,210 sq. Km
89,342 sq. Km
86,000 sq. Km
83,600 sq. Km
69,000 sq. Km
65,610 sq. Km
38,394 sq. Km
29,843 sq. Km
22,072 sq. Km
17,818 sq. Km
14,874 sq. Km
11,586 sq. Km
10,452 sq. Km
9,251 sq. Km
5,765 sq. Km
760 sq. Km
697 sq. Km
298 sq. Km
36,193 sq. Km
6,220 sq. Km
Partially recognized countries of Asia the largest continent of the world
Palestine and Taiwan are the two partially recognized countries in Asia the largest continent of the world
Palestine is officially recognized as the State of Palestine by the United Nations and has an observer status in the United Nations.
Taiwan officially named “The Republic of China” is known as a country among twenty-one (21) members of the United Nations.
Self-governing region of Asia the largest continent of the world
Hong Kong and Macao, which are official parts of China, still are called self-governing regions of Asia.
Hong Kong, also known as the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (HKSAR) has a Basic Law, as Hong Kong was one of the United Kingdom colony until 1997. The fundamental law agreed between Britain, and China states it will retain its legal system, parliamentary systems, and currency for the next fifty years.
Just like Hong Kong, Macao also has its currency, flag, passports, immigration controls, and legal system that are entirely separate from China because of the signed agreement between Portugal and China in 1999.
Regions of Asia the largest continent of the world
Conventionally there are six geographical regions or sub regions in Asia the largest continent of the world
- Northern Asia
- Western Asia
- Central Asia
- Eastern Asia
- Southern Asia
- South-East Asia
Six regions of Asia the largest continent of the world
North Asia or Northern Asia is a sub-division of Asian Continents, and this region is also known as Siberia. This region is surrounded by the Arctic Ocean in the north, Smaller and densely populated European Russia in the west, Central and Eastern Asia in the south and the Pacific Ocean, and North America to the East. Russia is the only country that is part of this vast region known as Northern Asia.
Northern Asia Cover about 13,100,000 sq. Km, which is about 8.8% of the world’s land, but still has only 0.73% of Asia’s population.
South Asia or Southern Asia is a sub-division of the Asian Continent, covers 5,134,641 sq. Km, which is about 11.71% of the Asian continent. South Asia is surrounded by West Asia, Central Asia, East Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Indian Ocean. The population of Southern Asian Countries is 1,936,259,164 as of April 2020 and is equivalent to 24.90% of the World’s Population. Southern Asia is also known as the Indian sub-continent.
Southern Asia has an economic cooperation organization that was established in 1985 and is known as The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) includes countries like India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, the Maldives, and Sri Lanka.
SOUTH EAST ASIA
Southeast Asia or South-Eastern Asia is a sub-division of the Asian Continent, constitutes a population of 667,380,183, which is about 8.577% of the world’s population as of April 2020. Southeast Asia is surrounded by China in the North, Indian Sub-continent & the Indian Ocean in the west, the Indian Ocean & Australia in the south and Oceanic & the Pacific Ocean in the east. Southeast Asia covers a landmass of 4,545,792 sq. Km.
Brunei, Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam are known as South-Eastern Asian Countries.
Western Asia, a sub-division of Asia the largest continent of the world, it includes Countries in the Middle East and the Arabian Peninsula. Western Asia has 19 Countries with a majority of the Muslim population and covers about 5,994,935 sq. Km of the world’s land.
Countries included in the western region of Asia are United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Israel, Jordan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Lebanon, Palestine, Bahrain, Oman, and Yemen.
The majority of West Asia has deserted land. Still, this region has a lot of water bodies, including the Persian Gulf, the Black Sea, the Arabian Sea, the Caspian Sea, the Red Sea, the Aegean Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea.
Central Asia, a sub-division of the Asian Continent, stands between China in the east, Afghanistan & Iran in the south, the Caspian Sea in the west and Russia in the north.
Central Asia includes countries that were formerly a part of a soviet republic like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. Central Asia covers about 4,003,451 sq. Km of the Earth’s surface.
Eastern Asia is a sub-division of the Asia the largest continent of the world, which includes China, Mongolia, North Korea, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Macau, and Hong Kong.
Eastern Asia is surrounded by Russia in the north, Central Asia in the west, South Asia in the South-west, Southeast Asia in the south, and the Pacific Ocean in the east. Eastern Asia covers about 11,839,074 sq. Km of the world’s land.
Facts about Asia the largest continent of the world
- Asia is the world’s largest continent and covers about thirty percent (30%) of the world’s land, which is approximately 44,579,000 sq. Km. Also, the population of 4,632,549,287, which is about sixty percent (60%) of the Earth, belong to this continent.
- The most populated countries of the World, India, and China belong to this continent. Also, Asia the largest continent contains Russia, which is the largest country in the world.
- Total Number of countries in Asia the largest continent of the world are forty-eight (48), according to the United Nations.
- Asia has a coastline of 62,800 km, which is the longest coastline compared to all the Seven (7) continents of the world.
- Asia the largest continent of the world covers the four-fifth eastern region of the giant Eurasian landmass.
- Among the new seven (7) wonders of the world, the Taj Mahal, Petra, and The Great Wall of China are from Asia.
- Mesopotamia, Indus Valley Civilization, also known as Harappan Civilization and Jiahu Civilization, also known as Chinese Civilization, are three of the ancient civilizations which began in Asia.
- Asia the largest continent of the world produces the most varied forms of vegetation and animal life on this planet. Bengal Tiger, Indian Rhinoceros, Giant Panda, Malayan Tapir, Bactrian Camel, Indian Cobra are some of the rare species of animals found only in Asia.
- Top 67 highest mountain peaks in the world are from the Asian Continent.
- There are more than 128 Rivers in the Asian Continent.
- Central Asian Mountain systems have given Asia many great rivers which are formed by melting snow.
- Everest, which reaches the height of 29,035 feet above sea level is the highest point of the world, the Dead Sea measures 1,410 feet below sea level, and Lake Baikal in Russia measures 5,387 feet below sea level is the world’s deepest lake.
- Europe surrounds Asia on the west, the Arctic Ocean on the north, the Pacific Ocean on the east, the Indian Ocean to the south, and Multiple seas(the Red sea, the Mediterranean sea, and the Black sea) in the south-west.
- Asian Continents have unique borders with other continents
- Sues Canal also known as Isthmus of Suez forms the border between Asia and Africa
- Asia and Australia are separated by the straits and sea connecting the Pacific Ocean and the Indian Ocean
- Europe is separated from Asia by the Ural Mountains & the Caspian Sea and from North America by the Bering Strait.
- Asia the largest continent of the world has the world’s widest climatic extremes.
- Cherrapunji and Mawsynram from the state of Meghalaya, India, receives the highest rainfall in the world.
- Arabian deserts are one of the hottest deserts of the world where temperatures can reach as high as 54 °C (129 °F) and the Syrian desert, which receives only five inches of rain annually.
- Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk are the coldest points on the Asian surface, where the temperature reaches as low as -69.8 °C (-93.6 °F).
- Because of the climatic extremes, we can find a variety of human adaptation on the Asian Continents.
- Most visited tourists’ destination in the Asian continent is China, followed by India, Thailand, Malaysia, and Turkey.
- Maldives, Islands famous for its beaches, is the smallest among the Asian Countries.